Friday, June 02, 2006

Before we say 'YES'

Children often get invitations to B'day parties that include 'sleepover'. It was easy when they were young; we simply said "they are not ready yet"; but now they are 'begging' to be with friends; friends are pleading to let them be with them for one fun night. The question about 'sleepover' these days is not so much whether your child is ready, but are you and your entire family ready to deal with the consequences if you have misjudged the character of the stayover house parents. The "nicest" people can do the most terrible things - is a minor child able to extricate themselves from a damaging situation? Will they be able to tell you what has happened? You have to 100% know and trust the caregivers - and even then it's a risk.

What do other Sikh parents think about it? I mean how do you know if it is okay to enturst someone with your child, who you never talk more than saying 'hi' in the parking lot of the school only? Just wondering and once again doubting my parenting skills......

2 Comments:

Blogger Harkiran Kaur said...

I am very skeptical about being around people I don't know, god knows what I'll do when I become a mother! But at some point you really have to leave things on Guru, go with your instinct and then do ardaas!

Thats the best I can think of!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Singhni said...

Thank you Harkiran! I agree with you on 'leaving things to Waheguru' once you have used your best judgement.

....And I know you will be a wonderful Sikh mom!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home